EN | FR
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background
Slide background

With nearly a hundred residents, and visually impaired children and adults blind to severely disabled, the association “Le Foyer” the premises are now too small and unsuited to their needs. Built in 1910, expanded in 1925, 1960 and 1990, the organization of the premises has never been designed with a global vision of the site, resulting in a problematic use of space.

Winner of the architectural competition organized in 2011, the project was guided by the desire to bring back the domestic character of the foundation. It is therefore necessary to create real living spaces, “houses” for the permanent residents while restructuring existing spaces.

The project aims to inhabit the park by creating two new houses. The former volumes, meanwhile, relocated around common areas, in order to provide residents the opportunity to live according to their potential for independence. The various functions – sheltered workshops, housing, public areas, therapy – are also reorganized to give a clear identity to each assignment.

Particular attention is given to the redevelopment of outdoor areas to improve their ownership. The creation of a new main entrance clarifies the whole site and greatly improves internal circulations. A central courtyard is defined, bringing together public areas. The theme of the thresholds and the filter concept are thought out to enable smooth transitions between different landscaping.

The typology of the new housings is organized around a central core of services. This arrangement breaks the linearity of circulation spaces and allows for generous living spaces with external extensions.